Alexander College Logo

Scroll down to see answers to FAQs about:


  • What are the admission requirements?

    General Admission Requirements 

    • All programs require evidence of English language proficiency. Students can learn about the 12 different ways to satisfy the English proficiency requirement by clicking here.
    • Completion of Secondary Education (12 years, or equivalent) or mature student status, or post-secondary transfer
    • Canadian Citizenship or legal authorization to study in Canada
    • At least 16+ years of age
    • Academic and/or GPA requirements specific to individual programs

    Associate of Arts Admission Requirements
    Students who meet our General Admission Requirements may apply for any of our Associate of Arts degree programs, or to our University Transfer program.

    For students transferring from a post-secondary institution into one of our Associate of Arts programs, program requirements for each can be found at our Programs and Courses page.

    Associate of Science Admission Requirements
    Students who meet our General Admission Requirements and wish to apply for our Associate of Science degree should demonstrate the following foundational skills for admission directly into the program.

    Entry from Grade 12:

    • Graduation from 12-year compulsory education, or mature student (aged 19+) status
    • Demonstrated English proficiency
    • Two of: Biology 12, Chemistry 12, Physics 12, Geography 12, Geology 12 (or equivalents)
    • Mathematics 12 (B or higher), or calculus-based equivalent

    Entry from University Transfer:

    • At least 9 transferable post-secondary credits, with a cumulative GPA of 1.50 or higher. University transfer applicants with cumulative GPA’s below 1.50 may be admitted provisionally
    • Demonstrated English proficiency
    • At least 6 credits first-year biological or physical sciences (e.g. Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, Geology)
    • MATH 100 (C or higher), or equivalent

    University Transfer
    Alexander College offers a wide range of first- and second-year university courses that are transferable within the BCCAT system and beyond. This allows students to receive credits for courses taken in Alexander College at the university of their choice.
    Academic Advisors help students understand university and faculty admission requirements and create a study plan that would put them on a path of fulfilling a Bachelor’s degree program requirements. Students can reference some of our pre-made transfer plans to popular BC universities such as SFU, UVIC and UBC on our Sample Study Plan page.

  • What is an Associate Degree? How long is the program?

    An Associate Degree is a two-year undergraduate degree offered by many institutions in the province of British Columbia and beyond. The Associate Degree program is designed to provide broad-based knowledge and experiences in preparation for entering the workforce, or as a foundation for further undergraduate study.

  • What is the total cost of tuition?
  • Which universities can I transfer to under the University Transfer Program?

    You can transfer to any university within BC including UBC, SFU, UVic, and to some universities outside of BC such as the University of Toronto. For specific program requirements, we recommend speaking to an Academic Advisor or taking a look at the BC Transfer Guide.

  • Are Associate Degree programs eligible for the post-graduation work permit?

    International students completing the Associate Degree program at Alexander College are eligible to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit.

  • Do I need IELTS/TOEFL/LPI to apply for Alexander College?

    All students are required to demonstrate proficiency in English prior to course registration; and we do accept standardized test scores to meet this requirement (e.g. IELTS, TOEFL, etc.).

    Students who do not have proficiency test results may write our internal English placement test. For detailed information about the various ways to satisfy the English language requirement, visit:

  • What documents do I need to apply for Alexander College?

    Information about documentation requirements can be found within the introduction to our online Application for Admission, found here:

  • Which intake is currently open? And when is the deadline for application?

    We normally accept applications for intake term 1 year in the future, based on the current term underway. For example, if the current term is Spring 2020, applicants may apply to terms up to and including Spring 2021. Admission to specific intake terms may be closed earlier if capacity is reached. To learn more, contact your Enrolment Advisor, or check out the available intake terms by completing the first steps of the online Application for Admission, found here:

  • As an international student, can I work while studying?

    International students are eligible to work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) while enrolled on a full-time basis, and may work full-time (up to 40 hours per week) during regularly scheduled breaks (e.g. Christmas break, the days or week between terms, or Summer intensive term). For more information, please visit the Canadian Immigration website.

  • How many semesters in a year?

    The academic year is divided into 3 regular semesters, and 1 intensive semester. The regular semesters are: Fall semester (September to December), Winter semester (January to April), Spring semester (April/May to July). Our intensive semester is the Summer semester, which runs from July to August.

Course Planning & Registration

  • When do classes start?

    The academic year is divided into four terms: Fall (Sept-Dec), Winter (Jan-Apr), Spring (April/May-July) and Summer intensive (July-Aug).

    Upcoming Important Dates

  • Where should I go to get help with course planning?

    An Academic Advisor can provide you with information on transfer planning, degree program planning, and career applicability. To book an appointment, email

  • How do I know what courses are offered?

    Visit the Semester Schedule to view the full list of courses offered.

  • What will my schedule be?

    3-credit courses are typically scheduled two days per week, and 4-credit laboratory courses are typically scheduled three days per week. You can select the courses and sections that best fit your schedule. The earliest morning classes begin at 9:00am, and the latest evening classes start at 7:00pm. The majority of classes begin at 9:00am, 10:30am, 12:00pm, 1:30pm, 3:00pm, and 4:30pm.

  • How many classes do I have to take each term to be a full-time student?

    Winter, Spring or Fall term:

    3 or more university level courses; or

    EASL 068 – EASL089

    ENGL 098 plus one university transfer level course

    ENGL 099 plus one university transfer level course

    UPRE 099

    Summer term:

    2 or more university transfer level courses

    *UPRE and EAP courses are not offered during the summer term due to the shortened length of the term.

  • I took some courses at another post secondary institution in BC. Can I use these courses to meet prerequisites for higher level course at Alexander College?

    Yes, if the course is listed as equivalent to an Alexander College prerequisite according to the BC Transfer Guide. The BC Transfer Guide can be found online at:

  • I know which courses I want to take. How do I register?


    If you would like help with course registration, you can drop in and meet with an Academic Advisor (

    If you wish to register at home, you can find a video tutorial from the left navigation panel of your MyAC student portal.


    Tuition fee payment must normally be received within 5 business days of course registration during the Regular Registration period or within 1 business day if you are registering during the Late Registration period.

  • The class I want is full. What is a waiting list and how does it work?

    While you are on the waiting list for a course, you are responsible for watching your position on the list. If a seat becomes available, you will see an option to accept or reject the seat from your MyAC Student Portal. You have just 24 hours to accept the seat so that we can cycle through the list and offer the seat(s) to as many students as possible. If you do accept the seat within 24 hours, the course will be added to your registered courses. Alternatively, if you do not accept the seat within 24 hours, or if you reject it, your place on the waiting list will be removed and the seat will be offered to the next student on the list.

    If a course has a waiting list, the course is full. You cannot register for a course that is full, but you can add your name to the waiting list provided that there are fewer the 50 students already on the waiting list. This list allows interested students to line up and wait to see if any seats become available in the course. When you add your name to the waiting list for a course, you will see a number, for example 4/4. This means that you are the fourth person on a list of 4 people.

  • I tried to choose classes, but I am seeing an error message. What should I do?

    The error message should explain the reason and provide instructions for how to get in touch with the correct department. In most cases, an error message shows because there is a hold on the student account. Within the registration system, the following are some common error messages:

    Suspension hold – A Suspension hold is applied when a student has been suspended from the College for reasons of poor academic performance, academic or non-academic misconduct. Contact the Office of the Registrar:

    Registrar hold – A Registrar hold is applied when there is an unresolved disciplinary case or if the Registrar wants to block a student from registering due to some kind of misconduct. Examples include: plagiarism and cheating, fraudulent documents, academic or non-academic misconduct. Contact the Office of the Registrar:

    Time Conflict – If you receive a time conflict message, two or more of your courses have a time conflict. In the event that a student enrolls in two or more courses at different campuses, an allowance of 1 hour travel time between campuses is automatically calculated. Contact the Office of the Registrar:

    Cheque hold – A Cheque hold is applied when a student has paid fees by personal cheque. Payments by personal cheque are subject to a 10-day clearing period. Contact the Student Financial Services unit,

    Financial hold – A Financial hold is applied when a student has an outstanding fee balance that is past due. Examples include: library fines, tuition fees, NSF cheques, etc. Contact the Student Financial Services unit,

  • I have been accepted, but I am an international student and I haven’t received my study permit yet. Can I register for classes?

    No. You need to be authorized to study in Canada before course registration. If you do not receive your study permit by the add/drop/change deadline, contact your Enrolment Advisor or the Admissions unit ( office to defer you start date to the next term.

  • I have chosen the classes I want. What next?

    Print your class schedule and tuition and fees invoice. Pay the tuition and fees before the deadline.

BC Transfer Guide

Tuition and Fees

Registrar Services

Student Success Services

Student Life

Academic Advising