Placement testing in English, mathematics, and chemistry are available to students who are unable to meet admission and/or course requirements based on their previous educational history.
English Placement Test (EPT)
Students who choose to enroll in Alexander College without documentation of English proficiency are required to complete the English Placement Test (EPT). The result of this assessment will determine whether a student possesses adequate English language and writing skills for direct entry to university-level studies. Placement test results are valid for a period of two years from the date of sitting.
If the result of the EPT indicates that a student is not prepared for university-level study in the English language, he or she may alternately be admitted to the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program. The EAP program is a full-time, integrated, intensive English and academic skills program designed to prepare students for college and university studies in the English language.
A student may rewrite the EPT once per semester (see policy: Placement Test Rewrites).
Students are placed based on their EPT score, as follows:
|English Placement Test Scoring Table||Course Name|
|0-13||ENGL 094||English Foundations 1: Upper-Beginner|
|14-28||ENGL 095||English Foundations 2: Lower- Intermediate|
|29-43||ENGL 096||Academic Preparation: Intermediate|
|44-58||ENGL 097||Academic Preparation: Upper-Intermediate|
|59-73||ENGL 098||Academic Preparation: Lower-Advanced|
|74-88||ENGL 099||Academic Preparation: Advanced|
|89-100||ENGL 100||Strategies for University Writing|
Note: Alexander College does not accept internal English placement or assessment tests written at other institutions.
The duration of the EPT is 120 minutes (2 hours)
Math Placement Test (MPT)
Applicants to the College who have not completed BC Mathematics 12 (or equivalent) with a minimum grade of C are automatically placed in MATH 099.
Students who do not meet the math requirement and wish to enroll in a first-year mathematics course are required to complete the Math Placement Test (MPT). The result of this assessment will determine whether a student possesses adequate Mathematics skills for direct entry to university-level mathematics (calculus). Placement test results are valid for a period of two years from the date of sitting. A student may rewrite the MPT once per semester (see policy: Placement Test Rewrites).
Students are placed based on their MPT score, as follows:
|Mathematics Placement Test (MPT)|
|Part 1||Part 2|
|< 15||MATH 099|
|> 15||< 8||MATH 100|
|> 15||> 8||MATH 104|
|> 15||> 10||MATH 151|
The duration of the MPT is 80 minutes.
Chemistry Placement Test (CPT)
Alexander College’s Chemistry Placement Test (CPT) is an assessment designed to test equivalent knowledge of the BC Grade 11 and 12 chemistry curriculum, which is required for success in university-level chemistry. The result of this assessment will determine whether a student possesses adequate knowledge for entry to university-level chemistry.
Students are placed based on their CPT score, as follows:
|Chemistry Placement Test Scoring Table|
|1 – 25||CHEM 100|
|26 – 50||CHEM 101|
The duration of the CPT is 120 minutes (2 hours)
Students who have previously completed an English or Math Placement test may sit for a rewrite once per semester.
In order to rewrite a placement test, the following criteria must be observed by the student:
- A Placement Test form must be completed by the Office of the Registrar, and a $50.00 rewrite fee paid in the College Bookstore. The receipt for this fee must be attached to the Placement Test form.
- A placement test rewrite must be written in between semesters.
- This period begins the day after the last class of the current term, and up to 3pm of the last day of the add/drop period for the subsequent term.
- A placement test rewrite can be written during a term so long as the student is not currently enrolled in classes for which the test has any direct bearing. E.g.: A student is not currently taking an EAP course)
- No student can write more than one (1) Test (initial placement or rewrite) in a term.
- If a student writes an English or Math placement test rewrite outside this period, for any reason other than those stipulated above, the mark of the placement test rewrite will remain with the Placement Testing Officer until the criterion above are met. Once the mark for the Test is released, the Placement Testing Officer will submit the result to the Office of the Registrar, who will make the necessary notation in the student’s file and provide a copy to the student’s Education Advisor.
Visit the Office of the Registrar
- Burnaby campus, room 103
- Tel: (604) 435-5815
- Vancouver campus, room 203
- Tel: (604) 681-5815
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Go to http://www.aconline.ca/pts/
- Login using your Application ID or Student ID number and your password.
- Your password is your family name
- After logging in for the first time you will be prompted to change your password
- Click on the ‘Make an Appointment’ tab
- Choose the subject of the test you would like to take: English, Math or Chemistry
- Book the test on the test date, test centre location and time you want
- Click on the ‘My Appointments’ tab to check the status of your appointments
Bring a piece of photo ID, which can be either your Alexander College student ID card or a government-issued photo ID, such as: passport, driver’s license, or BC ID card.
Cell phones, dictionaries, calculators, translators and other devices are not permitted.
You will not be able to take the test and your appointment will be considered a ‘no show.’
Go the Reception Desk at the entrance of the college and sign in. Be sure to arrive ten minutes before your test time.
You will receive your test results by email or telephone within 2 business days of the test date. If you do not receive your results after this date, contact your Enrolment Advisor.
Yes. Appointments can be cancelled up to 1 business day before the test. You cannot cancel an appointment on the same day of the test. If you do not come to your test appointment without cancelling, the appointment will be considered a ‘no show.’
To cancel an appointment log in to your account, click on the ‘My Appointments’ tab, and press the CANCEL button located next to the upcoming test.
Your absence will be considered a ‘no show.’ If you reach two no shows, you will be blocked from using the online booking system. To be able to book an appointment again, you must pay a $50 no show fee at the college bookstore. After paying, you must take your receipt to the Office of the Registrar or to the Placement Test Coordinator and your account will be unblocked.
Yes. You can retake a test in between semesters and provided you are not currently enrolled in the classes of the subjects for which you are taking a test. The period between semesters begins the day after the last class of the current term and up to 3:00 pm of the last day of the add/drop period for the subsequent term. To make sure you are eligible to rewrite a test, contact the Office of the Registrar.
Before you can retake the test, you must pay a $50 rewrite fee at the College Bookstore. After paying, you must take your receipt to the Office of the Registrar to book your appointment.